History and Mission
Math Masters was founded in 1989 in Austin, Minnesota by Lewis Aase and Julie Espe. The team spearheaded the first Math Masters event that year, collaborating with educators from southeastern Minnesota schools. The Minnesota Academic Excellence Foundation and the Austin McDonald’s restaurant provided financial support for that first 150-student event.
Since that time, Math Masters has grown to serve over 5,500 students each year at dozens of competitions throughout Minnesota and surrounding states.
The mission of Math Masters is to:
- Provide math competitions for teams and individual students
- Challenge students and schools to use critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities
- Give recognition for academic effort and achievement
- Promote math skills and interest among all students
- Motivate students to be more interested in math